- Google Earth does request a link for the initial view on startup – that point in the Atlantic.
- I guess North American installs have two slightly different default placemarks; has it changed, or maybe Canada gets a different one?
- But that doesnt explain the lines from there – people must have their links set to periodically refresh?
- Germany likes FlashEarth (or rather people like looking at Germany with FlashEarth link enabled)
- Many people leave the links open even when not in use – e.g. the British Isles links show worldwide usage, notably over Russia.
- MGRS notably has high usage in two areas.
- The Far east likes to know what direction they facing.
Update: In a total forehead slapping momont realised these unprojected whole world images, are exactly what is used in GroundOverlays, so the the pages now include links to view the higher resolution images directly in Google Earth, duh!
Example: View In Google Earth (don’t forget to try adjusting the tranparency slider!) [Update, to fix broken link, sorry!]