We are pleased to announce a developer challenge to build a cool Mashup using Geograph Data/Photos. The closing date for entries is
11pm 31st March 2010, extended until 11pm 30th April 2010.
The first prize is a Space Navigator, with 5 runner up prizes of a Geograph key ring!
Judging will be by a panel of judges and possibly a user vote on a the Challenge showcase web site (TBA).
The rules are simple:
- Create a web site, mobile, or desktop application (or similar) that uses Geograph data
- The application must be available for free
- Of course free to mashup the information with other sources (in fact its encouraged!)
- Welcome to submit multiple distinct mashups – but each needs to be substantially different.
Other than let your imagination and ingenuity run wild.
Geograph will provide to all entrants:
- Live API to search/download Photo data – includes hosting for thumbnails only
- (includes bespoke development at Developers discretion – will try to provide to all that ask within resource constraints)
- Static Dumps of pretty much the whole Geograph Database (mysql format)
- Torrent Downloads of a sample of 250,000 images
- Potentially help with hosting if you don’t have available (please ask!)
- All confirmed mashups will be showcased/linked on the Challange Website.
For inspiration, offer up my pithy attempt:
Geograph Photos on a OpenSpace Map
(note this is not sponsored by 3dconnexion – its entirely Geograph run)