Google My Maps Tools:
Images in Balloons |
My Maps Backup |
Custom Embed Maker |
Multiple My Maps (via gokml.net) |
Extract Coordinates |
Google Earth TOOLS: Fly-To | MORE...
KML TOOLS: KML shortlinks | KML Intersect | Sort KML | Geographical Grouping | Add elevations | RSS to KML | Project Point
Publishing your KML for Google Earth, Google Maps and Beyond
So you have a KML or KMZ file ready for the world? Great! This page is a collection of links to utalise Google Tools for publishing your file easily.
Basically you are going to be creating a XML based wrapper file for your KML file.
This is in Googles 'Gadget' format (for iGoogle and 3rd party websites), but it works on Google Maps as a Mapplet too.
Steps to follow:
- Validate your KML file at feedvalidator.org (if a network link you should also validate the destination)
- Then Check for Google Maps compatibility
- heres one I prepared earlier
- Provide your users with links to use your new content: (right click and select Copy Shortcut)
- Add to my iGoogle page (gadget) -or- Open in Page Creator
- Add to any webpage (gadget on any page on the web!)
- Add to Google Maps (as a mapplet in the My Maps tab)
- Add to Google Earth
(displays introduction supplied in the wrapper, you CAN just publish the url of the KML and people can open it direct in Earth!)
- Submit it to Google Directories:
- Standard Mapplets can also use this link: Mapplet Viewer - for these 'gadget' mapplets the gadget html is displayed in the sidebar